Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Oops... False Alarm

Dr. Weisert called last night to check-in and also to ask me to get to the hospital a half-hour early this morning to check my blood.  Apparently, my platelets are a little low (which can cause problems with blood not clotting) and she wanted to make sure that they hadn't dropped anymore.  If they had, we might be able to skip the whole amniocentesis and go ahead and deliver the babies.  If they hadn't, we would do the amnio. and then based on the results, possibly deliver the babies.

Knowing that delivery was probably eminent, we packed our bags, finished a few last minute things around the house, spent some time together as a family, cried a little, laughed a little prayed a little and went to bed.  I got up at 11:45 to eat and drink before the midnight cut-off and also took some pain pills.  All things considered, I think we slept pretty well.

Scott and I got up early, dropped Seth off at Gwen and Mike's, picked up Gwen and headed to the hospital at 8:15 this morning.  When we got there, they were all ready for us.  

They took us back to one of the delivery rooms where I changed into a hospital gown then they put the babies on the monitors and drew blood and started an IV.  We waited about 45 minutes or so for the labs to come back.  The good news was that my platelets have held steady, so they called the on-call neonatologist (Dr. Maciulla for those of you who know Ami and the triplets) to come down for the amniocentesis.  

While we were waiting, someone found out and called Dr. Weisert to let her know that my insurance, Blue Cross/Blue Shield apparently doesn't pay for amniocentesis.  Why this wasn't known before we were in the hospital, hooked up to an IV, with the specialist on his way down, we still don't know. Dr. Weisert called me in the room to let me know.  We talked about our options at that point.  We could pay for the test ourselves, but no one knew what we were looking at, probably thousands of dollars, or we could wait another week and a half and just schedule the c-section.  Scott and I discussed paying for the procedure, but we realized that even if we paid for the test, it might come back that the boys lungs aren't ready and we'd be looking at waiting anyway!  

Our nurse Darcy and Dr. Weisert spent some time on the phone talking about all the other options, the platelet count, the babies heartbeats, the contractions, dilation, possibility of uterine rupture, etc.  They seemed to really want to do this today, but just couldn't find a reason strong enough to justify it.  So, they removed my IV, brought me something to eat and drink, I got dressed and they discharged me.

I have mixed feelings about all of this.  I was scared about the test itself, but really getting excited to possibly meet the boys today.  I am in a lot of discomfort, but I do have pain pills that help.  I'll make it another week or so as long as I can take them and take it easy.  At least they'll have another week to develop those lungs. 

We'll keep you posted if something changes! 


  1. WOW! What a crazy day. I'm sending you love and hugs!

  2. What an emotional day! You are in my thoughts and I'm praying for a safe delivery of the boys, whenever that may be!

  3. Our prays are with you and your family, remember everything happens for a reason even if we don't know what it is right now.

  4. Praying for comfort and rest before the boys come! Praying for growth of their lungs before you deliver. Praying for safe delivery and health for your whole family. Let us know if there are any changes!

    ~ Barb

  5. Oh Bee-Jai, you're a trooper! That sounds like a crazy day! Glad you got to have some interactions with Dr. Maciulla though! :) Did he cuss? That was always my favorite part! Anyhoo...stay strong, and thanks for the updates! You can do this!!