Saturday, July 25, 2009

The Latest News

Sooo... went to the Dr. on Thursday for my 35 week check-up. Broke down in tears because I'm very uncomfortable all the time.  Carrying 12-13 lbs. of baby hurts sometimes.  Dr. Weisert explained that the reason it hurts so bad is because my uterus is over distended from the size of the boys and I of course have my old c-section scars (inside and out) that are being stretched.  

She told me that she could do a c-section sooner than later for the medical reason of fear of my uterus rupturing (very rare) but she would hate to take them out only to find that their little lungs aren't developed.  (By the way, apparently white males are the slowest to develop their lungs.)  So, she recommended that we have an amniocentesis to check on their lungs.  An amniocentesis is where they insert a big ol' needle into my tummy to pull out some amniotic fluid (it won't touch the babies).  Then, they'll test the fluid to check for a hormone that occurs when their lungs are developed.  

I wasn't sure I wanted to do this, so I went home to talk to Scott and think about it for awhile.  We decided that we'll go ahead with the test this Tuesday morning, we are "all the information we can have" kind of people.  From there, we'll decide with the Dr. when we'd like to go ahead.  Could be this week if they're ready!  

I'm really conflicted about whether we should take them now or if I can suck it up for a few more weeks.  The Dr. prescribed pain pills and they really help, but I just don't know if I can do this any more!  I feel like a failure in a way because I wanted to get to 37 or 38 (or 40) weeks or at least go into labor naturally.  

I know that being in me is the best place they can be, but if they're developmentally ready, is it worth stretching my uterus for 2 - 4 more weeks?  What if I did rupture?  That could be fatal for everybody!  These boys are both easily over 6 lbs.  If I wait, I could have two 7 or 8 lb. babies in there.  I don't know if I'm physically able to do that!  

But, at the same time, what if I elect to do this now and then there's something physically wrong with them that could have been avoided if I had just sucked it up?  What if they develop learning delays that have something to do with being premature?  I would feel awful if my being "uncomfortable" had dire consequences.  Blurg.

We'll keep you posted.


  1. Hey Bee-Jai! Can they give you the steroid shot to make your babies lung develop? They gave me that at 31 or 32 weeks...I can't remember! And my personal opinion is have them sooner rather than wait for something drastic to happen to YOU! That wouldn't do anybody any good. Learning delays, you'd love them just the same! Death...they'd sure miss their wife and mommy. Of the triplets, 2 were only 3 pounds and one was 4..and so far they're doing great! They even sent Hunter home from the NICU at 3 lbs. 8 oz! Remember, they were born at 33 weeks when I could have easily gone to 34 or 35 at least...but my doctor felt it wasn't worth risking all the things that "could've gone wrong." I remember the agony you are in right now and boy do I feel for you! Take care of yourself Bee-Jai, so that you can take care of them! You've done an amazing job so far!! Please call me if you want to talk, vent, ask questions, etc. I feel for you...229-7488

  2. BJ! You've already gone farther than 42% of your following thought! Have these kids already so I can find out their names. Love, Auntie Gwen

  3. Hi! Such a tough decision. I know you and Scotty and Dr. Weisert will figure something out. Of course what I hear from Devra is that every day longer you can keep them in the better, but obviously only up to a point!
    Anyway I'm sending you my love and good vibes for figuring out what makes the most sense for your growing family.